Wounded Heroes Family Mountain Experience
“What I liked most about these events was the fact that my family became closer as a result and that there were also lots of good opportunities for us to step out of our comfort zones.”
The Wounded Heroes Family Mountain Experience is a Summer/Fall program designed for the family who prefers outdoor activities in the mountains without snow sports.
This is a multi-day program which includes outdoor activities such as challenge/teamwork games, ropes courses, hiking, biking, river rafting, fly fishing, and/or rock climbing.
Strengthening Family Bonds
The ongoing impact of a Warrior’s injuries severely tests the bonds that unite a family. The Mountain Experience provides a healthy environment in which to enjoy new activities as a family, to laugh, to cry, and to encourage one another.
The Family Enrichment program, presented by professional counselors, also strengthens family bonds by
- Building ‘practical’ communication techniques for all family members, and
- Creating support networks for the Hero and family members coping with similar issues.
Re-imagining Possibilities Through an Adaptive Outdoor Recreational Program
For some Warriors, the Mountain Experience Program is an opportunity to reengage in outdoor activities they loved before their injury; for many, these are activities they only imagined they could do.
With the support of trained instructors and the latest adaptive equipment from the world-class Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center (BOEC), our Warriors overcome physical obstacles that once seemed insurmountable – and from these accomplishments, the Warrior’s self-confidence and perception of ‘what is possible’ expands.
- 5-day program (Excluding travel), for 6-8 Warriors, and their Families in Breckenridge, Colorado
- One-on-one adaptive lessons, equipment, and facilities for the Warrior and his/her Family
- Family Enrichment Program focused on improved communication, understanding, and support
- Transportation, lodging, meals, outdoor programs and activities are included at no cost
Preliminary Schedule of Activities for 2016
Sunday, August 7
Arrival in Breckenridge
- Check in at Grand Timber Lodge
- Welcome Dinner
Monday, August 8
- BOEC Campus and Challenge course
- Carter Park BBQ
Tuesday, August 9
- Family Enrichment
- Travel to river
- Camping on the Colorado River
Wednesday, August 10
- Rafting on the Colorado River
Thursday, August 11
- Family Enrichment
Friday, August 12
- Farewell Dinner
Saturday, August 13
- Travel Home
Note: All activities are free unless otherwise noted. Transportation will be provided by GTL or BOEC for all scheduled activities.